View Single Post
Old May 21st 2003, 07:16

944 brakes and master cylinder

I can attest to the stock master cylinder being quite adequate when it comes to running Porsche 944 or 944turbo brakes. I was running the non turbo brakes and they worked great! . Now I have 944Turbo 4 - pots and the stock master still runs it fine. The only difference is with the Turbo brakes you have to bleed them very well,tapping the caliper each time with a rubber mallet to get all the small bubbles off the inside walls of the caliper, otherwise you will end up with a bit too much pedal play. It took a few "bleedings" and now its great !. Remember to start bleeding the caliper furthest away from the master cylinder and work foward.Remember to check the reservoir often,especially with the turbo calipers. They draw so much fluid you can run out quickly and have to start alll over again!So how does it feel? Well, the pedal goes down a couple of inches more but its quite acceptable. The only problem you have as others who have done this conversion will also note , is that the brake lights dont come on as quickly when you are at the traffic lights. Its wierd but you have to press the pedal a little harder than normal to get it happening compared to stock. Having had this setup and tested it extensively I can assure you it brakes very , very well! Its like having progressive power brakes. The bias feels fine to me.

Big motor-Big brakes-Big wheels-Big FUN !!!!