View Single Post
Old April 23rd 2010, 15:47
Administrator

I didn't record hard numbers with the 1600dp I had, but I did toss on a gauge at one point and measure oil temps. I too always thought that the additional sump under the engine would cool the oil off, even a little bit, but it doesn't...at least not enough to show up on the temp gauge. Yes they're finned, yes they are exposed to the airstream...but no, they aren't doing any appreciable cooling. Berg and a few others confirm that fact...a degree or two is oft quoted as the biggest improvement.

I do, however, agree that the sump does provide for a chance to allow the oil to "rest", even momentarily before being picked up and pushed around the engine some more. I'll likely do some oil analysis on my changes to ensure I'm not degrading the oil prematurely. With a windage tray, windage pushrod tubes and the accusump I think I'm pretty well protected. I do plan on watching oil temps and putting in an aftermarket cooler if needed. It would be in already, but I couldn't find a thermostat that I liked in time.

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap