Quote:
Originally Posted by pantswagen View Post
why not then

-utilise a 944 turbo cast alloy lower wishbone
-short adjustable coilover
-fill the rest in
-is frame head , 2 tubes like a stock beam, -strut top mount, fully adjustable
-then just pick up onto the 944 like its stock mounts

-then at least, you have the turbo spindle and hub, so any aftermarket bell bolts on, plus if you use a 968 -mo30 spindle, you get radial mount bosses

-plus the roll bar would be real fat

-plus the whole lot would be light
And you think using P-car parts will make it CHEAPER

The "fill the rest in" part is the funny part though. Suspension design is one of the the most complicated aspects of a car next to the engine IMO. Why is it that Domestic vehicles don't handle like European cars for the most part? Why wouldn't they just take a late 90's BMW and copy the suspension so they could compete with BMWs? It's not cut and paste, suspensions are built for the car they reside under typically.

Back to the suggestion, I have many of the 944 Turbo front suspension parts collecting dust in my garage. 944 Turbo parts are SO overbuilt for a bug application, it's ridiculous. The spindle is also a low-mount steering setup, so unless you are interested in cutting off the front end of the pan, this is not an option that will work. And it was designed for a large front-engined V8 grand tourer, not a small, light, rear engined econo-car.

I'm all for imagination, that's how I got myself into this project. I think it's really great to think outside the box. But please don't ask questions that make it look like it's easy to design a custom double-a arm suspension, especially utilizing off the shelf parts. As far as I know, I own the most comprehensively designed suspension built for this application to date. If there is one better out there, I would LOVE to compare notes, I always strive for better and if there is better, I want to know about it.

If anyone want's to got through the struggles I have to design one, go for it. To do it right involves hours and hours of research, a lot of knowledge, and probably a lot of $, at least that is what I ended up going through.

I guess that's why I get a little frustrated when someone suggest " just do this", armchair suspension fabrication won't yield much in the way of results.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S