View Single Post
Old January 28th 2010, 08:36

I must disagree with you Dave about headlamp washers (admittedly all are original equipment):

The basic condition over here relates to winter driving when road salt is mixed with water/damp conditions

'84 Alfa Romeo GTV6 - Work well on standard output headlamp bulbs but not when the lamps were uprated to 130W & 100W. Basicaly at those wattages the crud baked on and the washers were ineffectual. Modern +80% bulbs might solve that problem when I get around to restoring the vehicle.

'91 Vauxhall Senator - Work reasonably well coupled to headlamp wipers.

'94 Merc 500E - Excellent even when the headlamp wipers don't work!

'01 Merc E Class - Brilliant high pressure washers giving a noticable improvement in illumination even when you think the headlamps are not dirty. (Its the only thing that works on the bloody car though!)

As regards when you use the car, I have the general philosophy that cars are there to be driven, whatever the conditions even if they are a classic. My 500E is a testament to that. It is used in all weathers and at all times of the year having now racked up 270,000mls+ of which I have been responsible for 170,000mls in the last 9 years.

I have been toying with the idea of headlamp washers on the '03 super especially as I now have the washer fluid capacity but have not designed the system.

Clive