View Single Post
Old July 6th 2009, 23:24

Tuning update and more....

The car was running beyond pig rich but after a few tweaks and turning down the req_fuel (from 11ms to 6ms ) its running much better. I aslo increased the number of injections so the overall injector pulse width has been almost quartered. I turned up the waste gate as far as it would go and I'm getting 13-15psi out of the motor now, still looking for more. It's also still only winding up to 5k and I need to figure out why.

Replaced a few items on the car. I replaced the pulleys with a serpentine system, mainly to improve charging and cooling, so now the alternator charges below 2k. I also swapped out the starter for a high torque unit, and the battery for an optima red top. I finally fixed the leaky valve covers as well. It turns out they were bottoming out on the top of the rocker stands before hitting the heads fully. I ground out material in the valve covers until they fit and now they seal like a charm.

I've been trying to get in car footage but it's too violent for the camera and the camera keeps shutting off. I've disabled the drop sensor, and steady shot but it just can't cope. I could have used it today when a totally oblivous woman road raged when I tried to pass her and rammed the race car. I never imagined I'd be trading paint on the mountain but that's what happened. Damage to the race car was minimal (that i've noticed so far) the worst of it being tire scuffs and a 3" crack on the fender. There's some wear on the sidewall of the tire where it contacted her car (05 hyundai tucson) but not much. Her car took much more damage, both doors caved in, and front fender dented. I feel much more confident in the beetle when it comes to car-to-car contact now but I would rather have had it happen at the track, or not at all. We stopped and traded info, and I gave her a stern talking to about the proper use of turn outs.

Hopefully I'll get some pics and video uploaded later this week. I've also got another dyno day scheduled next monday (the 13th) so I should have video and pice for that as well.