Thread: Ceramic brakes!
View Single Post
Old May 8th 2008, 04:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Hi Wally

To bad that it didn't work. I wonder if it would have made a difference with which direction that they were turned when machining, clockwise or anti clockwise? The fibres may have been raised up, like patting your cats fur backwards.

Steve
I see what you mean, but as I see it this stuff is not like a GRP-made fender where actual fibers are still present when you scratch or sand them. I suppose the baking process took care of that. Lets just say its weird stuff.

These recent week, I have been trying to look for a direct replacement and found many posts concerning problems with pccb brakes on Rennlist and such, like vwdevotee mentions above.
This really lets one to believe the PCCB generation I disks have indeed a serious problem in longlivety. There have been reports of disks failing as soon as 15K miles and when they do, they eat up the pads - even the 'right' original porsche pads - in very, very short time (I know now how that looks). That almost gave Porsche a (legal) claim from safety point of view...

This week, at the local porsche dismantler, he had two cars there with the PCCB (Gen.I) on them. One was his own street car (650 hp GT2 Cup) and his racer. His admitted that the first two laps on the track, it was tricky because the brakes didn't bite that much initially as he was used with the steels and indeed needed to warm-up before they performed well. Then they performed extremely well. The track car had also the beginnings of worn disks, as did the 'street' car which saw track days as well. A spare set of PCCB's gen I from a wrecked car he also had looked immaculate however. Even the yellow calipers had no discolorization, suggeting no overheating had taken place.
All this info I got there leads me to believe that excessive (over)heating is what kills these disks rapidly. That is probably why porsche made the
the generation II disks, which have 2000 fibers instead of 400 per unit (so I have read) and are 380mm instead of 350mm diameter for even better cooling.
Even with these, the Manthey racing team supposedly uses one set of the Gen.II disks at every race. Well, at least they now sustain at least the whole race...
So much about the ceramics
The 'pancake' disks the I have now om still look huge IRL; I just have to look elsewhere for saving some unsprung weight I guess. The really light pccb calipers I can maintain do help a bit fortunately. Total weight of rotor and caliper as compared to the former set-up is still 1,5kg less ;-)

Last edited by Wally; May 8th 2008 at 04:53.