View Single Post
Old September 7th 2007, 20:43

Hi

Hi

The best cheap shifter is a type 3 stick with a quick shift kit, to fit one to later bugs you need to put a slot the front of the cup in your shift rod.

Berg shifters feel nice, very positive feel, nice short throw, but I can’t understand the reasoning for the T bar handle. Your either encouraged to leave your hand on the shifter or place your hand in the same spot all the time, no matter what gear your selecting.

I personally prefer a shifter a round or golf club shaped knob and use it like this,
1st gear I push it in with the cup of my palm on the rear of the knob
2nd gear I pull it back with the cup of my palm on top of the knob with fingers resting across the front of the knob and my thumb is pointing down.
3rd I push with the cup of palm on the left side of the knob, fingers resting around the front of the knob, thumb pointing to the front of the car, I use the same technique going into 4th but I tighten my finger grip slightly.

Maybe the T handle is a drag racing thing, its useful for drag racing as your only going up the gears and as drag racing has little in common with driving on the street, I prefer my gear knob to be round.

Steve