View Single Post
Old May 19th 2013, 18:15

So, still not got the repainted shell back yet, partly due to work commitments, but in the meantime the boss kept me busy with something with slightly less power:

Only 4800miles from new. All the pushrod seals had deteriorated with age, so I had the heads off and gave it a top-end refresh - all lovely and clean inside, with the VW logo still visible on the piston crowns. It was a delight to work on.

Put it back in its rightful home on Monday evening - a '56 Single-Cab - and it ran beautifully. Having managed to then get it registered Tuesday, and the plates sorted on Thursday, yesterday I took it to the Apex Festival at Lydden Hill. Didn't miss a beat all the way there - with an average of less than 85miles a year over the last 57 years, but not turned a wheel in decades, we thought of just having a few local trips in it first, but in the end we thought what better thing to do than a 200 mile round trip to test it? We even overtook a Bay-Window on the way!

While at the circuit I thought it would rude not to put it around the track - no seat belts, very slippery seat, 30hp, Crash-gearbox... Brilliant fun! Managed to hit 50mph on the main straight before dropping into 3rd and braking to 40mph for the left-hander where the back stepped out Myself and my mate sliding around on the passenger seat were in absolute hysterics - he reckons it was almost as much fun as his 911! I wonder if the boss will let me build an Okrasa engine for it?
'02 Passat Sport Diseasel Estate ("Das Boot")
'05 Seat Leon FR, chipped (Mrs Moog's toy really...)