View Single Post
Old August 7th 2006, 03:14

Hi Jak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakriz
I was given the advice not to use a thermostate by someone who does conversions for a living but I also checked with my engine builder as well before doing so. My 2 mates that did their conversions at the same time are also not running thermostates either with no ill effects. It seems to make sense to me, but then alot of weird stuff does
With out trying to sound like a know it all prick I hope you didn't pay for that advise.

But seeing as I don't know everything (as my wife points out) I decided to ask a few professionals,
So I called a service manager of a Toyota dealership I know who is an A grade mechanic with over 40 years in the trade and playing with race cars, and he agreed with me but gave me some grief for asking him a question I knew the answer for. But as we both could be wrong I wanted to confirm so I wanted to asked a 3rd party. So I left the warmth of my office and went down to the workshop and asked some of the qualified mechanics there what they thought and they agreed with me, but I thought they would.

We just can’t see any reason why you wouldn’t run a thermostat, unless it was to overcome some other problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakriz
Have u had your car on the dyno yet Scott, would be interesting to see what the twin cam 2.5 puts out at the wheels.
Yes I have had my car on the dyno it’s a EJ25 SOHC not a DOHC and as I don’t like talking about power figures as it always end up sounding like fishing story’s, and it depends on the dyno and the correction methods used, sae, din, temp correction bla bla bla.
It has enough for the moment.

Scott

1971 2.5L Subaru powered 1302s

http://vw1302rsi.multiply.com/