View Single Post
Old July 20th 2007, 22:03

So here is what is going on with my set up. I have had to battle my way through some family issues this year culminating in a trip to Germany around October or November to settle an estate. I have been working from a friend’s garage as I do not yet have one of my own so this has also limited my access. Currently most of my extra money is going toward the trip so it is slow going on the suspension front. However after getting back I will have my own workspace and more time and money to throw at the project.

I have a front jig finished that holds the front suspension on the super as if it were on the car. I finished one prototype A arm several months ago but it failed the off car stress tests. The new one was designed with the help of a local speed shop and is similar to one used on an extreme off-road buggy they race. So this time round I foresee it passing the off car stress tests and I can move on to fabricating its mate and get them on the car.

The overall goal of these arms is not for racing just a handling and ride upgrade. The A arms will be mirror to each other so they can be used left or right side. They use 1985 Audi 4000 control arm bushings and bolt on ball joints for use with Porsche or Beetle spindles. They are just a tad bit shorter than the standard control arms by like 2cm and are set up to put the wheels at absolute neutral camber by default. Camber adjustment is re added at the strut spindle interface. On the later super beetle struts the top spindle bolt holes can be ovaled out for the addition of a cam bolt. A set cam bolts from a 1985 944 struts work perfect. This set up mirrors the same amount of camber as the factory set up.
Pirate VW Services is looking for weber IDF and IDA carbs "to far gone to repair". We are also looking for 74 Super Beetle and later controll arms that are to badley bent to use or repair. PM for details.

Sevice with a yarrhhhh!