View Single Post
Old June 4th 2010, 10:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilC View Post
Mike, Do you know what your damper rates are? Are you running a rear anti-roll bar? You might find that stiffer dampers plus a rear ar bar might dial out your initial understeer. Personally, I intend to set mine up as a soft(ish - 100lb/in front 944N/A rear) with stiff damping as most of the roads around here (that are used for Road rallys) are fairly bumpy and I don't like the thought of the front skipping across the bumps particularly under initial braking.

In all of this of course lies the variation of conditions/use/driving styles that will give wildly different results.

Clive

Clive, The front dampers are Golf GTi inserts and the rear are KYB gas-adjuts. I haven't got into figuring out damper rates yet. I like your approach though, I think I need to try and get a spring that will keep the front end suspended enough that I can have >2" of travel and they will keep off the bump stops and then stiffen with dampers. I guess stiffer dampers will also keep it off the stops to a degree just need to try and balance that.

I don't have a rear anti-roll bar but it is in the plan. I've found a guy locally with an 86' 944 NA and an '87 944S. I've found conflicting info around what torsion bars are in those but I'm gonna scoop the TB's from the '87 and if either has a AR bar I'll get it too.

I haven't settled on a spring rate yet but before I jump into coil-overs I'll put in 944 TB's and rear AR bar, adjustable front dampers (recommendations?) and right now I'm thinking around 125-140 lbs/inch front springs. For the front springs I have to keep in mind that if I load up to go somewhere for the weekend I could be adding an extra 250 pounds (including passenger). Its definitely going to be a balance!

The roads here are also brutal, huge pot holes, wash outs, etc. With the freeze/thaw its near impossible to build a lasting road.

Mike