Thread: 17'' EOS Rims
View Single Post
Old June 19th 2008, 08:26

You might have the same issues.

I mentioned Karmann Ghia based disk brakes. I had to do some adjusting here and there with machining front wheels, special spacers (yes, they were hubcentric), and rolling a fender (separate issue). In the end, I loved my brakes.

However, if I were going down the GL path again with another '71 Super, I would get Volkswagen disk brakes that were based on the Golf/Jetta IV through VDub Engineering. They are a sponsor here and Lanner is a top-drawer person.

So before you get psyched out of using the Eos wheels because of maybe's and other things to consider, give Lanner a call or write to him with your plans. Since you seem ready to go with widened fenders anyway, you may be well on your way of having less issues than what I had.

A 5x112 pattern is not all that unusual even if the Eos is a fairly new platform for VW. The solution may be a very easy one and the concerns I have laid out may be moot. Some obstacles have easy solutions; some are more difficult; and some aren't worth the pain.

Investigate each one thoroughly. Just because I don't want anyone to go through the trials I did, doesn't mean those trials are necessarily on your horizon.

Oh, and I should be able to find the source I used for the spacers. That company and another one came highly recommended. They make adaptors, too. Let's see if it is necessary first.

Last edited by oasis; June 19th 2008 at 08:29. Reason: additional comment added