View Single Post
Old January 29th 2003, 05:28

Hello DD,
After reading your thread several times..., I think I understand now (?). IMO the Alu rings you want to use will neither contribute to structural strenght for either the head (when you press them in there) or the cylinder (if you press them onto those). Very possibly be dangarous because of weird stresses that might appear due to the fact that tiny differences in thermal expension or thermal conductivity can occur, even with a similar grade aluminium. Since Oettinger made the Nikasil set, you can better trust that the design was good, than to try tinkering with it yourself.
So, why use a 'fill-up' anyway. In an original set-up, the cylinders don't have an interference fit either. Now your inteference is just a bit bigger. If you want to use the rings anyway, into the head seems a little safer than onto the cylinders IMO. Its not ideal, but you want to use those heads, so be it.
FYI, I also have a NOS Mahle (Oettinger?) Nikasil set, but of 103 mm. It has 5 mm wall thickness at the top and I also just ordered LNengineerings head stud set (same minds?).
Good luck,
Walter