View Single Post
Old July 17th 2004, 22:53

early 944 brakes, stock MC....dosent feel right

Well i got all my plumbing done for my 1303 project, i have early (single piston) 944 brakes on all four corners and i am using my stock master cylinder for now... i already have it mounted so i thought i would see if it would work.

I dont think its going to cut it, the pedal has a fair amount of travel till it engages the brakes, but if you push on it REAL hard it almost hits the bulkhead. kinda soft/squishy feeling, not firm like on our 73 Thing.

I have not driven the car or rolled it yet becuase their is no motor, no running gear..ect so i cant say if they work ok or not. but my the feeling of them now, i dont think they would.

So the question is what next to try, i cant be spending a lot or money trying everything out there. so what is a proven MC to use with this setup?

I have heard to use the 944 unit (but it originaly had a Servo/Booster) and to use an early 911 unit (no booster correct?)
Anyway i look at it, i cant use a booster, no room, and most importantly, i dont want to deal with mounting one up at this point, im sure it would involve a lot of fab and hacking to make one work.

So what to use, somthing that has been used... not just a sugestion on what may work... somthing proven to work.

Thanks!
Jonathan

Current cars:
-74 Super Beetle
-86 Vanagon Syncro
-64 sunroof bug
-73 thing