View Single Post
Old January 23rd 2016, 02:49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clatter View Post
Stoked to see your operation with the annular throw-out!

Are you _sure_ there's enough room for the throw-out when fully compressed?
A hard measurement to get..
Honestly? No.

It's a very difficult measurement to get, and the Tilton is damned thick. I did have a few tricks up my sleeve though. First off, I found a "clutch depth measuring tool" at the PRI show. I took photos (which I can't find at the moment) and was able to reasonably duplicate it in the shop. Well, I think. hahaha.

I was also smart enough to disengage my clutch cable without touching the adjustment (one benefit of the Porsche arm). This meant with the engine out I could manipulate the clutch arm and get a visual of "about" where my bearing sits. My Porsche clutch guide tube has some wear marks from the throw-out bearing, which I was able to confirm are in "the right spot". I was able to compare wear marks on my old throwout bearing and my newish (2yr old) one to the marks on the guide tube, and confirm where the "clutch action" was occurring. That measurement matched up almost exactly to my measurement on where the pressure plate fingers *should* be from the bell housing. So with all three measurements coming up within the same tiny area, I figured I had to be pretty close.

Quote:
Wally performed a similar operation with his G50.
Dig through his build thread.
Using a Passat throw-out IIRC..

There's also a thread on the transaxle forum about this, too.
None used the Tilton AFAIK, however.
Funny enough, in all my research for this I never thought to check the Germanlook forum, instead focused on the Porsche forums. There is lots of G50 info, and plenty of options out there...but very little on the 901 trans, and even less on the early 901 trans. Tilton DID have a Porsche 901 throwout bearing setup a few years back, but it was for the later 901 gear box that has a different bolt pattern and clutch setup.

I also think that I'll end up milling two initial adapter plates. The first one is the plate I *think* is correct, which will help me work out where I need to clearance the plate and/or the bellhousing. The second plate, which is actually the first one I'll try, is going to be designed to slide snugly over the factory guide tube...but not actually "bolt in place". If I do it right, I should be able to bolt the engine in, and using the clutch lever arm hole slide the bearing forward and back to confirm I have the needed 0.100-0.150" clearance. Either that, or I'll find out I've really messed up and have a very expensive paperweight!

Quote:
I chickened out on my 923 trans.
(street car)

Excited to see how this works out.
Glad to see you back..!
Thanks! Sorry to be gone so long.

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap