View Single Post
Old January 3rd 2005, 19:44

>stock 19/19mm m/c I had before.
Reason for the switch was my terrible brake bias: too little back-side braking.<

Could be because that VW MC is designed for drum brakes instead of the discs.

When I converted the '66 Westi to discs all around Russell at Old Speed said they normally had to rebuild a drum MC to run the discs because there is some "feature" in there that pulls the fluid back to the MC instead of keeping a semi constant pressure residual like a disc MC will. Pardon my lack of technical experience here, just paraphrasing someone elses story

I still contend that the 911 19/19 disc/disc MC is the way to go on a Beetle as it is setup very similar in weigh charactaristics and still similar in the disc brake setup (do not quote me on specifics though, but having rebuilt the 911 brake calipers before they are not way different fluid volume wize than 944 units).

Seems to a degree as with anything that certain combos still need tested to determine the perfect conversion MC.

For my IRS build-up (shhh, the pan should be here in two weeks, but do not tell the wife yet) I just bought a 19/19 911 MC to try out with the full 944 single pot setup.... Give me a year or two to post results
'96 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.5L Diesel
'99 GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel
VolkSport Kafer Gruppe