View Single Post
Old August 24th 2002, 12:41
Administrator

Smile

Thanks for the replies !

My budget is $2000 CAD......What I want to do is get the running engine. I don't want to take it apart or anything for now. All I want to do is get the engine and convert it to upright cooling, and then install it in my car and get everything working. I'm not looking for fancy or expensive parts right now. I just need to do the minimal amount of work to get this engine in my car.

I will wait till winter 2003 to take it apart and add bigger pistons and crank and heads.

SO, is this a simple bolt on affair ? I am totally new to the type 4 and Alex has been a great help as well !

So let me get this straight....I should look for the biggest capacity stock type 4 I can find...right now its a 1.7L from a bus....I will call around some more...Then I should get an upright cooling kit (DTM shroud I think ? I want it to be able to cool a bigger engine in the future)...Do I need carbs or anything ? What should I be looking for in an old type 4 engine ? (I hope Alex has the time to come with me to look at engines !). What exhaust system do I need ? What engine ID's should I be looking for ?

Can I use some items from my type 1 ? 009 Dist, Fan, alt stand ?

I have heard that I need a rear engine brace ? What is this all about ? What exactly are the strengthening mods needed to fit this in an IRS pan ?

I need to be totally clear with what I need to do to get this conversion done because this is my daily driver and I can only afford to take it out of service for one week.

As you can see, I like to get every detail figured out before I dive into something as major as this !!

Thanks again !

Sandeep