View Single Post
Old September 4th 2008, 19:03

Overdue update

I've got a lot done since my last update but the pics are in my friend's camera :P

At any rate the motor is finally in the car and we've started plumbing and wiring. Got the fuel level sender installed in the fuel tank and the fuel tank in place. Fiddled the the location of the fuel pump a bit but I think I'll leave it next to the fuel cell in the spare tire well to keep the plumbing simple. I ran out of room in the engine bay so I'll have to put the coil on the inside of the car and run a fire wall pass-through. The oil cooler mounting will be creative since the cup brace is in the way. I think I'll hang it from some aluminum flat stock I've got. I've also been fiddling with the oil filter location trying to find a spot for it that does interfere with something else. Looks like it might end up next to the passenger side rear wheel but it maight be a tight fit with race rubber. We just finished painting the cage and it looks a bit better now and started stripping the rattle-can-red paint job to find okay-ish saturn yellow underneath. Also switched tires from my fuchs to a flat blacked set of phone dials I had so I could restore the fuchs. The phone dials look great on the car and will really complete the look once the bug is repainted.

Here's a couple pics I have so far, I'll try to get more later.

Motor in and ready to rock, only a little bit of plumbing needed to make it run.

Painted cage and a dash panel I picked up at the summit store when I cruised through Reno Nevada.

Fuel cell and pump set in place. I still need to final mount them now that I know where they're going.