View Single Post
Old August 12th 2004, 17:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAF
Jeremy..

What is an adjustable Bias Bar..

I assume that this is something built into the MC..

Why is this better than a proportioning valve.. Please explain..

I think I may know why, might have an idea, but in the interest of not sounding to silly please explain..

Thanks
ALex
Alex

I believe that a bias bar allows you to adjust the ratio between the front and rear brakes at the MC. It keeps it even no matter what pressure you put on the pedal. So the percentage split you mentioned before would be adjustable on a bias bar type.

I had a quick look at proportioning valves once. My understanding was that they limit the maximum pressure to those brakes. ie the max pressure plateus at a value so even if you push harder their will be no more pressure applied. They are commonly used in the rear lines to prevent the rears from locking up first- so this makes sense, limit the max pressure available to the rears because at max braking (ie panic stop) there will be a lot of wieght on the front - even in a rear engined car (don't tell me you don't have wieght transfer- how hard are your springs!!! ).

But put the proportioning valve in the front line (which is commonly not allowed by authorities) and you limit the max power to the front brakes. I'm sure with an adjustable one it could be set up very well, but I think for the best set up you would be much better off with an adjustable bias bar.

Feel free to comment on anything that I may have explained incorrectly, its a big learning game for me too.

Walter- yes thats quite a difference between the Bug MC and the 944 MC. Ideally you'd get something in the middle that allows a bit of fine tuning to get it just right

Cheers
Jeremy