View Single Post
Old February 7th 2013, 14:28
Administrator

I'm very wary of the Mendeola rear suspension design. The system uses design elements like highly stressed fasteners in single shear, loads applied to the middle of tubes, and pre-buckled tubing. Any design book, whether an engineering text or those for us 'layman', will caution against these errors. Carroll Smith (Engineer to win) goes much further then caution!

I asked Mendeola about the issues I saw and was basically given an answer that "the vehicle will never create loads large enough for it to be a problem". Which, considering some of the track monsters here, I'm not very confident of. I would think that if you were to completely redesign the rear suspension of a vehicle, you would do so without including what have been accepted as "major engineering 'errors'". The system may very well be overbuilt for a Volkswagen, maybe even a track-day GL monster, but if I can see errors in the basic design I lose all confidence in it's claims.

It should be said, however, that the front system from Mendeola (for the standard beetles) has no major visible issues. My only complaint (from a purely performance perspective) is the choice of ball joints over rose ends. But that is an acceptable downgrade.

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap