View Single Post
Old October 12th 2011, 04:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Car and its stance does look superb! Love the blue wheels
How does the cooling hold up?
198 whp isn't bad for a start either
At what rpm was that?
Thx guys! So far so good on the cooling, those big cooling fans aren't really equalling driving speeds, and the thermostat controlled fans just cycle on and off. The IC is more worrysome, we were cooling it down with spray bottles between runs, but I really don't know what the final cooling system will be for that.

198 whp isn't bad, but we are hoping for more like 240 whp by upping the boost at all rpm using one of these:

I found a decent deal for $460 for it. These are very good boost controllers for the price, featuring a cool programming feature that allows for gear specific boost control. For drag racing, you might need to limit boost till a higher gear to minimize wheel spin, and this thing lets you do that.

As I recall it was hitting the max hp at 6600 rpm, and at about 14 psi of boost, Lawrence is hoping to hit and maintain more like 16-18 psi early and holding it using the boost controller. He was surprised we hit almost 130 mph in 4th, apparently I've got a sort of tall gearbox.

I totally forgot to mention I've also installed one of these:

I picked it up from Summit Racing for about $400. We installed an additional injector at the hot side of the IC to maximize the ICs cooling effect, and the larger one in the standard location at the cool side. It works so well that if you run it on test mode, just spraying at lower boost while the engine is running, the IC actully gets cold to the touch. Typically this system is progressive, increasing the volume of Meth sprayed based on boost level. The testing and tuning used about 1/5 of a gallon of Meth, and I installed the tank in the spare tire well so I can inspect the level at each gas fill up.

Pics to come on these, sorry.

Both of the "ricer" add ons will help the car have more HP and keep a higher margin of safety at the current boost levels AND at the higher boost the GT28RS will produce, so it's a win win. These have been around for years and have proven themselves extensively, funny that I've never seen either in a air or wc VW?!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S

Last edited by volkdent; October 12th 2011 at 04:43.