View Single Post
Old April 28th 2010, 23:21

Clive, thanks for the pics..

Got me very interested in this option.. and as a result took some pics of my own to share..

Essentially there seems to be a lot of overlap and similarities between the 944 topmount and 1303 topmount.

Here are some pics of the 944 Strut topmount (can't remember the year or model, but believe they are NA model)

Here is the topline strut bar plate placed on the 944 to see the similarities.. The top bolts line up perfectly with the topline plate

Here is the beetle with the topline plate

This is the 1303 plate sitting on top of the 944

Some side/angle shots to see the similarities

Where I can see an issue, but looks like Clive has confirmed fitment, is the bottom section of the 944 topmount as its wider and does not come to a point. I won't have time to disassemble these struts till end of may and maybe check on the car to see how much space exists..

@Clive- Was there a lot of space left, when you installed from underneath? Curious as aftermarket 944 camberplates maybe larger.

NLT friday, I will follow up with the Ground Control Rep, and send him some pencil drawings/tracings of the beetle topmount, so that he can check against his inventory to see if something other than the 944 will fit the bill.. But drilling two holes and leveraging the 944 stuff, seems like a no-brainer.. added support.
I was initially concerned if the 944 units would be offset, in some fashion when compared to the beetle units, but this does not seem to be the case. I was concerned about added camber/caster in the wrong directions. The other issue that I need to check is that the two new holes are not to close to where the strut pops through.. as in that there is enough metal to have good structural integrity. .

These are the ones I saw on the ground control site, but there are plenty of other vendors.. These were nice as they had an integrated top spring perch.. Other options are 944 units that are topmounted, as in they get bolted to the top of the chassis, as opposed to the bottom but those are big dollar items.

http://www.ground-control-store.com/...924+%28Pair%29
Only problem, is that the 944 run horizontal in those cars, and when placed on the bug go vertically, therefore making them caster plates

Welcome any thoughts? as I too want to kick ideas around and keep this thread going..
VR
ALex
Tele: 973 204-5463