View Single Post
Old March 14th 2006, 16:11

I did my college senior project by putting inboard rear disks on a '69 Baja. I used 914 calipers, Type III rear hubs, and machined the other parts (rotor hats, rotors, and mounts). Caliper mounts bolted to the transmission side cover studs. Rotor hats mounted to the tranny CV flange (using longer CV capscrews). The setup saved about 14 lbs unsprung weight per side. The brakes worked well, although since all braking force is now transmitted through the CVs and axles, it is very hard on those components. I ended up breaking one of the CV "bearing cages" due to the constant loading (I imagine applying the brakes is like launching the car from a dead stop all the time). Caliper orientation is also limited under there. I could not get them oriented to where the bleeder was at the high point. I had to unbolt the calipers to bleed them correctly. My calculations showed a very small improvement in suspension reaction with the reduced unsprung weight which probably is not worth the cost and effort associated with such a conversion. Cheers!