View Single Post
Old May 23rd 2006, 09:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL-Aussielooker
so which is better for the GL look. steering box or R&P. I want good handling overall
R&P doesn't have the "play" a steering box has. Then again, a tight (new or rebuilt) steering box has little to begin with.

It really comes down to your intent and your personal preference.

If your car will be achieving a wider stance with wider tires, you will lose some turning radius. So if your steering remains stock, you may want to go with the steering box.

If you are more interested in high speed handling than hairpin turns and parallel parking, then you will want the instant responsiveness of rack and pinion steering.

If your budget is deep enough or you are patient enough to wait until you can afford it, you can get the best of both worlds by going r&p now and getting a racing version adapted later.

Remember, the cornering aspect of handling comes down to a lot more than style of steering. Weight distribution, suspension, tires, brakes, etc. are all part of it, too.

When I was searching for my Super, I wanted a '75 because of the r&p steering knowing full well I had some added expense ahead of me to ditch the hideous battering ram bumpers. At that time, I had a full-on German Looker in mind. I still intend to go that route some day.

I bought my '71 because it was in the starting shape I needed -- meaning it was stock (didn't have to undo someone else's project) and in rustfree condition. This project has morphed into what I would call a spirited daily driver German Looker. It won't be stripped of chrome, rear and passenger seats, and sheet metal and glass in favor of carbon fiber, fiberglass and Lexan. It will have a stereo. It has upgraded seats but not true racing seats. It won't have a roll bar. It even has cupholders for crying out loud.

Different projects. Different intent. I want my '71 to eventually be able to take care of most daily drivers if need be and be somewhat domesticated if need be. (Steering box is perfectly fine here.) I want my some day '75 to be able to thumb its nose at all showroom performance cars and flat-out back it up every time it needs to. (I'll take the rack for this.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL-Aussielooker
I would also like to know more about this setup. Most importantly as to where can I get one.

Looks more like a custom one-off project than something one can buy at the usual suspects.