View Single Post
Old November 4th 2011, 09:42

Hi Wally, In answer to your question, the front does look as though it's running about +1* in the turn in roll but the tyre doesn't look too stressed to suggest that anything is moving around too much. I agree with the lads in that you need to take tyre temps to understand what the suspension is doing.

I would be a little concerned to dial too much -ve camber in to increase the verticality of the wheel in long fast turns as that may give the front too much grip. Understeer would be preferable in the long fast turns and my preference is neutral to slight oversteer in the tighter ones.

As regards the 944 steering arms I suspect that the angle, which is more parallel (lets say tending to 0*) is there to correct the position of the steering rack and the angle of the tie rods. Without the accurate geometry of the 944 I can only speculate. Similarly, I haven't modelled the front end of the bug with the steering box arrangement to check the ackermann, all I can say is that the steering gets heavy beyond a 1/2 turn on the steering wheel and I find that its appears to dig in on the outer wheel with no scrubbing. That may be as a result of the lower roll centre although I will experiment with the original roll centre soon.

Clive