Thread: 901 trans. code
View Single Post
Old November 7th 2005, 11:35

Evil and all,

Had a length conversion with Martin, at Bug5 to further discuss issues. Based on intial discussions and customer service, I will try some if not all his products and report back. Only factor is $$. I am looking at getting some items in Dec and make that my winter project. The approach seems straight fwd..

Hope the info I received helps you all. So here goes. I will break this up into different smaller topics.
Topic/Issue/Response

Q1. Tranny Location- As mentioned "Usually hangs back" due to the
nose cone.
BUG5: (nose cone gives 30 mm extra) Therefore by using the Bug5 nose, tranny can be moved fwd.

Q2. Clutch and/or frame horns..
BUG5 These parts are for the clutch cable to a) mount it to the gearbox, and b) make an adjustable connection between the inside clutch cable and the clutch lever of the Porsche gearbox. Both parts are made out of stainless steel. The "Kleinteile" have the correct screw thread M7 inside for the clutch cable. You can easily adjust the clutch with it.

Q3. Rear Cross member
Bug5: to make rear mounts in a powdered version. They will have the contours of the 901/914 bellhousing, which is different from the Beetleīs bellhousing.

Q4 Front Cross member- As far as the front, do I still need to weld in some brackets to attach to this member?
BUg5: Front mount is very very solid. Front mount is bolted under the brackets of the IRS-arms. So you only have to drill a 12 mm whole into the bottom of each of the brackets. Then you can bolt on the traverse. With the traverse come 4 cotters to balance the bevel of the bracket on the underside. Nothing has to be welded to the chassis.

Q5 Output shafts to connect to 944..
Bug5 has them for Porsche 944 cvs.

Q6 Shifter and linkage
Bug5- You use the shift rod of your car. Only at the end (direction gearbox) you must weld in a bracket where the hinge of a 911 is fixed in. That bracket can be cut out of an original 911 shift rod (too expensive) or can be taken from the steering rods (tie rod ?) from most other cars. This part is only for clamping in the hinge.

BUG5 Shifter- It works very exactly and very straight forward. The original shifter from porsche has very long shift ways (120 mm per gear), this shifter only takes 55 mm. The springs inside a very strong and they move you in the right position by shifting forward from 1st into 2nd gear. Although the
901 has a very strange shift pattern (1st left side
pulled, 2nd next line pushed) .

I wanted to add that it also works with Factory Location with minimal tweaking need to fit, as opposed to 901 shifter..

Here is a list of most the items you would need. Prices are on the site..

-Nose cone short aluminium cast
-front traverse al. cast
-Axle flanges (Pair of) for Porsche 944 CVs
-Shifter Bug @ 5-Speed
-Clutch cable mounting plate
-clutch cable connector to lever

I also had asked about some references.. And if anyone has these issues please let us know.

There were reports in VWSpeed (11/04, 4 pages), in VWTech (issue 18, 5 or 6 pages), UltraVW (March 2005, 3 or 4 pages). Products are well known and accepted in most European countries. There are about 100 cars on the road with this conversions. In issue 10/2005 of VW Speed Bug5 car with Subaru Turbo and Porsche 915 gearbox is reported about. There you see some pics. In issue 21 of VWTech (France) a customers car can be seen from the underside with Bug5 parts. In January there will be a big report about my 1303 in VWSpeed (see under Projekte!). Itīs a very nice German style. In this report you will see all of Bug5 products on the car.

Keep you guys posted.
Alex
NNJ