Thread: Tuning Dells
View Single Post
Old May 20th 2003, 00:26

Thanks for the response guys.

Chigger, The carbs are big but I decided to try them because mine came with the 34 vents which are more in line with the 40 carbs. I tried the carb cleaner trick, and I also tried starting fluid. Neither change my engine speed even if I spray it into the carbs intake. At one time when I was obviously lean the spray would pick up the rpms. I went up a step on the idle jets and then it didn't make a difference.

Here is the new findings: The knocking occurs between 32and 40 MPH in 3rd or around 20-25 in 2nd and around 45-55 in 4th, AND I here it on decelleration as well as accelleration. Now I question if this is really knocking, or some other problem. Valves? main bearings? What else would make this sound. Knocking is caused by the piston skirt slapping the side of the cylinder, or so I've been told. Can the piston get sloppy enough to knock on decellaration? I get a bit of blow by at idle but if I rev the engine and open the breather it isn't really putting much out. So, I'm guessing things are tight. This could be a harmonic thing that happens at a certain speed.

Thanks
Ron