Thread: Why 944?
View Single Post
Old August 28th 2006, 04:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetibone

CB's stuff is good. I've used their brakes myself. Porsche stuff is better. Easily obtainable, easily re-built, over engineered, and greater quality for the same or less money than CB's brakes. Those are the facts. Others here agree. If you can't see through your own arrogance at the difference in quality between the two then there's no sense in my trying to explain it. You can be as pompus, and condecending as you want, the facts are what they are.
You are right, CB stuff is good. That's because there's not much that they designed. Do you know where the rotors come from? Their rotohub is an evolution of the previous design that used a genuine VW Type 3 drive flange, and a genuine Porsche 914 rotor. As those parts became more difficult to find, they elected to get the two parts cast into one for simplicity. But all this means nothing really since there is not a problem with the design of the rotohub. They are completely reliable. IMO their lighter weight makes them superior to the 944 hub/rotor. The perceived quality is irrelevant since neither rotor will fail. It's too bad your defensive behaviour has blinded you from seeing this.

Then there's the caliper. Originally CB used a 914 caliper. It had the advantage of an external mechanical lever to actuate the piston for the e-brake. Very simple with very little moving parts. Since those are not commonly available anymore, they now use a (Ford?) caliper. That is certainly more available anywhere in North America than any Porsche part is. The Big disadvantage of the 944 brakes is the silly drum brakes within the rotor. Talk about a huge increase in complexity compared to a simple lever on the caliper. Do you think your FLAPS is gonna have those silly brake shoes in stock when you need them? Likely, you will have to order them (probably from California). Any problem with the CB caliper, your FLAPS will have it in stock. Same for the pads. Great if you are on a road trip.