Thread: Why 944?
View Single Post
Old August 28th 2006, 05:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2
The Big disadvantage of the 944 brakes is the silly drum brakes within the rotor. Talk about a huge increase in complexity compared to a simple lever on the caliper.
Actually, I still see this as an advantage. With a hydraulic e-brake I also have a problem with yearly inspection or I need to run an independant (extra) fluid reservoir. Talk about complexity...
Quote:
Do you think your FLAPS is gonna have those silly brake shoes in stock when you need them? Likely, you will have to order them (probably from California). Any problem with the CB caliper, your FLAPS will have it in stock. Same for the pads. Great if you are on a road trip.
The 'silly' brake shoes are actually IRS (super)bug brakeshoes... Bet you didn't know that huh? It makes sense also, as the complete steel IRS arm is essentially a VW part as well.

Funny n/body mentioned this, but for me a great benefit is the 'free' 5x130 porsche lug pattern on a 944 brake conversion as I only run P-wheels on all of my aircooled cars and with the extra off-set, most modern P-wheels with their large ET's fit right on without spacers or anything.

But everybody that wants the easy way out and mail-order a system that has less braking power (you can only judge this really if you have experienced both systems) and costs twice as much than having to visit a dirty (yuck!) scrapyard, be my guest.
But otherwise you're totally right, I only do the porsche braking swap for bragging rights and status Mwhahahah!