View Single Post
Old August 3rd 2018, 14:36

So, not a full update here, but kind of a small one. I currently have the entire front end of my bug pulled apart with everything off except the steering box and the beam. Though I would like to pull the beam off, clean it, and paint it, I just dont think I have the time for that currently as I would like to be driving my car again by the end of this weekend. There were a couple of weird things I encountered when pulling everything apart, so here is a list of my anomalies/what kicked my ass

My front sway bar was only connected by fittings on one side with the other side completely rotted out, and the sway bar its self was cracked (looked like someone beat on it with a hammer, but its hard to tell). My front passenger side shock hemorrhaged all of its oil when I finally got the weight of the car off it. The same shock was missing its lower retaining nut and only held on by being seized to the bracket its self. The driver inner tierod looks like it still has a good end (being replaced anyways) but the not was not tightened down at all. When pulling the spindles off one of the ball joints was so shot that the pin the nut was on was spinning inside of the joint making it an absolute pain to get off. I had to go buy wobble socket extensions for my impact and literally just let it run and smoke a bit until the nut let go and I could get the ball joint out of the socket.

I also have a gas smell that I seriously cant locate. I have an early 68 tank and have just gone about replacing the vent lines (larger one and running one off of the cracked cap in the picture), fill hose, gas cap, and the sender seal to no avail. I do not have the carbon canister installed, but I didnt think that should play too big of a role. The hose connecting the tank to the had line is never wet at all and doesnt smell of gas from what I can tell. Maybe the issue is where the bottom hose comes out of the tank as the grease around it isnt dry, but it doesnt realy smell of gas either. Over all this one is kind of kicking my ass.

Here are some teaser pictures for my front end overhaul post