View Single Post
Old April 13th 2019, 16:32

Well that doesn't look like much of a motor right there.. Alternator or no alternator! Ha ha..

Sorry if I'm all over the six-cylinder installation, but it's stuff that's been floating around in my head for the last 15 years or so.

So you want it to be a road car.. Full gentleman?
That means a rubber-mounted sub, then, right?
Always felt to me that the type 3 just floated down the highway soft and plush like the 'murrican V8s I grew up with.
It's really part of the appeal.
Compared to my beetle, the ride is very civilized.
It'll add another dimension to the build to make the rear sub still float on rubber, but handle that much power as well.
Maybe time to start a junkyard tour with an eye on motor mounts to use..?

IMHO, you're going to have to move the trans forward an inch or two just to make room for that motor!

You'll be removing all of the cooling ductwork from the rear of the car?
It would make room no doubt, but moving the drive-train forward is such a noble pursuit, you might consider saving the ductwork and apron as a side benefit.

The limit to how far forward my drive-train could move was my decision to keep the torsions.
If you go coil-overs, the limit to how far forward your drive-train could go would then become the CV angles.
When you go as far forward as you can, then the CV flanges move forward of square from the centerline of the axles, therefore 'sweeping back'.
So at that point, max CV angle at full compression and full droop, plus 'sweep back' angle = max angle.

I'm assuming that your CVs are similar to 930, and have a good angle,
(or you can easily swap to 930 CVs),
So there's your max forward drivetrain limitation..

Dunno if this makes any sense...

I'll try and find the time to dig up the relevant pics from my build thread.
The 'house' under the rear seat I had to make was surprisingly small.
You also only see small little 'humps' at the rear of the back-seat floor, in front of the kick-panel, because of my rubber mounting.

So, if you go full gentlemen, rubber-mount and all, plus moving your bigass G-50 like four or five inches forward, it will still have a bit of foot-room for your rear-seat passengers.
Gentlemen street cars need rear-seat foot-room, of course, right?

I say you should aspire to move the drivetrain way forward and upward,
As well as narrow the torsion housing.
Plus rubber mount!
But, of course, it's not years of my life to be spent doing it, so of course I'll say that..!

I'm only 12 years into my project, and it's still a bare shell, so don't listen to me.

Still, if you're going to rip the thing open for such radical surgery.
might as well go forward with all of that weight!

Get that damn thing stripped down to a shell already!