View Single Post
Old January 24th 2010, 21:49

2004 Karrera Sedan

Hey all,

I thought it was time to unveil the project I've been collecting parts for for well over a decade, share the fun, and thinker over it with you guys. I've set aside brandnew Porsche parts for this project for as long as I can remember (even when sober).

The basic "rules" for this project are that it will be built as a brandnew car using only new parts. The final look would have to be "factory built", nothing polished, a factory decal here and there, crude yet sophisticated at the same time, using every nook and cranny of the Porsche and VW parts catalogs. Making things fit by selecting the right genuine parts from the entire Porsche/VW range (as much as possible). I have a new parts fetish that borders the insane, I'm known to order a part for fitting/trial assembly only to sell it and order the exact same part just so it could sit in my personal stash in a never opened box...

Funny enough, the car that this project is based upon is one of the things that is still missing, a 2004 modelyear Mexican production sedan with zero miles.

For the past few years I've put most of my energy in my work, building up the company and progress on the Bug was pretty slow. Until recently, a guy told me that Bob at BBT (Belgium) had a few brandnew Mexican VW pans collecting dust. That got me excited as I wanted to start off with a new pan as a spare part vs. keeping the pan the car comes on because the "original teil" comes without the horrifying Mexican PVC undercoating, and this was only 20 minutes from where I live. I called Bob, but since I got most of my cash stuck in precious German metal I had to be creative, I suggested a trade that included a set of NOS 912E heads and a NOS genuine VW Thing BN4 Eberspächer gas heater. Long story short(er), I got a brandnew 2004 VW pan in my living room and it keeps me awake at night. I dusted it off and made a few temporary brackets that allow me to have it stand on its side strapped to a pole that I conveniently happen to have sitting in the middle of the living room, it's too thick for any form of pole dancing anyway (besides that.. any girl that would need a pole that thick is out of the erh.. "spectrum" is the word I guess, but I digress..). It spent a night under the car port in freezing temperatures and that kept me awake even more.

Pictures! Let me try this..
2005 VW LT 35 2.5 TDI

www.karrera.net

Last edited by verbeekb; January 25th 2010 at 00:42. Reason: Typo's n trying to add pics!