View Single Post
Old May 20th 2003, 14:37

Re: 1500 fnt discs & 944 rear discs

Hello-

I wouldn't go that route. I'd either use CB Rotohub rear discs (solid discs, 1-pot 34mm calipers), which are dirt cheap (~US$250 a set) with the 1500 fronts, or go for the full 944 (or Kerscher/CSP equivalent) setup. Brake bias will be much better, and spare parts will be cheaper.

The 944 rears have 36mm calipers. With a symmetric master cylinder, this makes the F/R hydraulic leverage ratio with 1500 fronts (40mm calipers) a scant 1.23:1 - way too rear biased. The 34mm CB setup will give you a F/R hydraulic leverage ratio with 1500 fronts of 1.38:1 - much better. Lots of people have done this (including myself) and have confirmed that no proportioning valve is needed.

If you want the cheapest route, I'd really get CB rotohubs and be done. It's less money and less headache than new 944 rotors, pads, and caliper seals (but used hubs/calipers) and an adjustable proportioning valve and the time of fiddling with it. If you want the nice route, go 944 all the way.

Oh, and if you are looking to get by even cheaper, I have a slightly used CB rotohub setup sitting on my shelf. When I unbolted it, I put grease all over the rotor surfaces, so there's no rust... make me an offer :-).

Take care,