View Single Post
Old January 21st 2005, 09:36

Caster fix kit and the Flip-it bump steer kit come (actually came a couple of days ago) with the listed products above -- I forget what comes with what off the top of my head.

It's my understanding the MaXX struts used to be a 2½-inch drop at the first setting, but the newer struts are actually two inches or maybe a fraction less depending on the car's starting point. My 1302 has a pronounced nose-up look like models in the original brochures, so I imagine mine will be two inches.

I opened all five boxes yesterday and copied all of the installation literature which came with all of the parts. I delivered the copies to my lead mentor at the shop I frequent. As luck would have it, he was out sick yesterday.

Ironically enough, the TopLine printout for the struts still list 2½ inches as the first setting. I looked at the struts. I don't know exactly where I should measure with the units not on the car, but I'm hard-pressed to see two inches.

The rear settings will be interesting. From what I read, one notch may be too much of a drop.

If I remember correctly, there is a 1½- to 1¾-inch difference between the front and rear distances if measuring the current top of the tire and bottom of the fender (wing). Assuming the MaXX struts at the first setting lowers the front two inches, I would only be looking for a ¼- to a ½-inch drop for the rear. If one notch is more than that, I'll have a lowered nose-up stance -- not what I would be looking for.

Although quite pricey and although I received mixed reviews about them, I may bite the bullet and get adjustable spring plates for the rear if minor adjustments are necessary.

If 205/55-16s work, the speedo will not be that far off at all. The actual speed at a 70 MPH reading would be 68.58~70.38 MPH. (I listed a range because the calculator can compare a 75 series tire or an 80 series tire, and it is my understanding stock Beetle tires are actually 78 series. That being the case, a 70 MPH reading would be 69.66 MPH.)

I'm very excited about my first step to the Dark Side.