View Single Post
Old August 2nd 2009, 18:31

Damn I feel like and idiot now. No harm done and not much money lost (a wasted trip to the machinist) but I found the source of my problems. Turns out a bad measurement was made and that effected everything. I measured the plate for checking deck height incorrectly, or rather must have read the dial calipers wrong. Probably due to assembling the motor at 2-3am the first time around because I was excited :P

Well I found the mistake today when I double checked the plate thickness. My measurement was off .100" so I had an actual deck height of .171" instead of .071" or a total compression of 6.5:1. So If you're curious as to what kind of power a 2165cc, very low compression motor, running on 3 cylinders makes on 13lbs of boost, it's about 107hp. The low compression explains the hard starting problems and low power so I'm relieved about that. I'm going to tear the short block back down and have both cases machined a total of 4mm (4mm on one block and an additional 2mm on the other). In hindsight, I would have caught this problem early on if I did a compression test, so maybe it's time I got a compression tester.

So going from 6.5:1 to 8.5:1 should be a real kick in the pants with or without boost I'll probably be re-re-assembling next weekend and hopefully driving again a week from today.