View Single Post
Old April 18th 2005, 18:47

We are assuming the r&p Bug has the same steering geometry as the steering box '03/'02? This potential difference is near negligable when compared to the difference in Ackerman geometry when using Porsche spindles...

This is my experience with a rack'n'pinion Beetle.

I'm mostly recalling from mental notes here, the distance between the track-rod end and the steering axis is much less on my 951 stub-axles than the '03 stubs they replaced. The angle is different aswell. Also remember the Porsche stub axles have a drop spindle effect. The shorter length sharpens up the steering response/reduces the ratio, less turns lock-to lock, quite noticably. Not going to happen, as the stock wheels won't be going back on. The wide/big offset wheels that now fit under the stock front wing/fender will need steering limiting to prevent tyre fouling at the rear inner sidewall. Old news. I'm not sure if 944 'rod ends have different hieght, angle and length/steering geometry than 951. Mike Ghia, You've seen both Can you check for us? How is that Kab you were building? For you father wasn't it?

Limiting the steering is easy and safe on a steering box Superbug, as the mechanism is external. Unlike the 'rack which needs stop's fitting, to limit the throw of the wheels. This involves major surgery, to do it the way I did. And must be top quality. I will be doing this op again soon as I've aquired another rack as a spare. This time I'll take pics and share them. Some people argue that we do not drive on the steering limits (e.g. common, or garden rat-look Cal lookers). I believe a sorted GL car sould be able to drive at full-lock. Agree?

People in the UK remember, any evidence of welding or even heating on a steering or suspension component is an MOT failure.

The shift rod bush, I struggled and failed to get my shift rod out without bending it when I replaced that on my '79, they must have been flexed when first fitted When the shift rod is slid all the way to the the end of the tunnel, the bush can be changed easily.

Matt