View Single Post
Old January 11th 2015, 14:43

Thanks guys,

I have been running through gearbox/engine ideas in my head. I initially thought a 915 box would be ideal as it is one of my favourite modifications in my beetle...it makes it so much more usable for long distance runs (which is what we will be using our van for!) but i have settled to rebuild my 1600 bus box with a taller 3rd and 4th with a berg gear housing so i can run a splitty nose cone. This will enable me to do a 7cm transmission and engine raise (which i need to do for ground clearance) Engine wise i am going to keep it fairly basic as funds don't allow anything like what my beetle engine cost. It will probably be type1 based, less than 2 litre but maybe a small turbo running through a renault 5 turbo carb. Thats the plan at the moment but as all of my projects seem to progress and get more involved....i am sure i will end up with something more wild!

Interior wise we have never felt the need to have a cooker/sink etc. we will have a large 'L' shaped sofa in the back that folds out into a bed. The front will have a westy style flip front bench seat so the 'L' becomes a 'U' shape. Pretty basic but very sociable I would also like to incorporate a fold out BBQ somehow (maybe at the back)

I have to say, if i had my way, i would start with a much more solid vehicle.....but the wife has become attached to Nev over the years and wants to keep him.

The bit i am most excited about is the wheels.....