View Single Post
Old January 2nd 2005, 15:55

Hi Walter,

Is there a Scat forged Crank in your project, if so nice!! .

Surfing the net and looking at the Apfelbeck project some things caught my eye and I quite don't understand why it's done that way. It seems that each cylinder is going to have his own cylinder head, my opinion is that it would be stronger having a cylinderhead for 2 cylinders like on conventionnal flat 4 volks engines and the camshaft would suffer less from vibrations due to the running engine. It also seems that there will be a camshaft for 2 cylinderheads, one section of the camshaft will be free (outside in between the cylinderheads)? How many bearing will be necessary for the camshaft, what about its lubrification? Finally the whole OHC assembly is run by a flatbelt, as said in the guest book, drag at the rear of the car lifts up dirt and flatbelts plus dirt equals early breaking flatbelt. It would probably be more comvenient using a chain drive system instead (such used in porsche engines). It would be more compact too.

I'm not sure of that but chain and sprocket assemblies in most cases have smaller mechanical service factors than pulleys and belts.

Anyway, they are still in the early developping stages of their heads (based on a 70's design), they will probably encounter many design changes in their way