View Single Post
Old November 14th 2009, 09:09

I think if there are more sophisticated ways of doing things (ie machining), then the welded style seems a little barbaric to me. But I do agree with you about the bus spindles, I even had a set of Nate's on my last bus. All government auto inspections will not pass a welded spindle.

The overall height of the rotors will not make a difference in track, because at the hub mounting face they are all 6mm. IIRC the overall heights for the rear rotors are 65mm (993/964), 67mm (996) and 71mm (86 944T). My radial mounts for the rear are $C160pr with all required hardware. On IRS cars the 944T cover the brake shoes completely, the 996's just (ie shoe is axially flush with drum surface in rotor) and the 993's will have the shoes overhang the drum surface. With swingaxle it's a different story because depending on the end castings (short vs long) the outer bearing is in a different position axially from IRS, so the hub and rotor would move in/out when compared to IRS.

Long story short for your swingaxle car is that you can make the 993 rotors work and engage the brake shoes correctly, but you will have to machine/space the hub relative to the caliper backingplate.

Cheers,
Lanner