Thread: LED lit gauges
View Single Post
Old August 24th 2004, 00:54

Thanks for all the input guys. I have some UV (aka black light, 420nm) LEDs on the way. I think they will work really good with ****pit style gauges, and I am considering them for my liscence plate light on the bike (we have white plates in CA). I know they aren't the best thing in the world for my eyes but I don't sit there and stare at my gauges so I should be fine. It's starting to get a lil honda-ee but I really want to modernize my gauges and not spent a arm and a leg doing it.
I have finally worked out the numbers for the resistance and am currently running a life test on a couple of blue(470 nm) diodes in a 914 speedo. I'm going to let it run for at least a day straight to make sure it's reliable and my resistor will hold up. Input 14.7 vdc, 110 ohms, 3.4v on each diode, 25mA per LED. The resistor is a 1/4 watt and that is border line for this so I'll probally step up to a 1/2 watt one when I actually install it in the car. I am also getting some better red and yellow LEDs. I'll take pics of all of them in action for the tech article.

Last edited by Supa Ninja; August 24th 2004 at 22:07.