View Single Post
Old October 18th 2002, 08:05

Step 1
First I went to the store and bought a few sheets 220 grit sandpaper & a can of Dutch Boy Satin Black Paint.

Step2
When I got home, I carefully removed all of the trim molding off of the body. I used a small flathead screwdriver to carefully pry the trim off. You do not want to bend the trim nor do you want to scratch your paint.

Step 3
Once all trim was removed, I sanded each piece using 220 grit sandpaper. Then I cleaned each piece off using a slightly damp rag before the spraying began.

Step 4
Now of all the trim was ready to paint. I picked up each piece individually one at a time and sprayed paint up & down the length of the trim using short bursts of paint (rather then holding the nozzle continuasly to prevent runs) as far as I could without getting it on my fingers. Then I layed the piece down on my work table and sprayed the end that I was holding & any spots I may have missed.

Step 5
After 20 or 30 minutes drying time, I repeated step 4 on all the trim to make sure it got a good second coat.

Step 6
After the the second coat of paint had dryed for at least 30 minutes, I then reattached all trim pieces to the body.

Thats it, nothing to it really. And it looks awesome!

Next project this weekend is blacking out the window trim on both doors... stay tuned

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback