View Single Post
Old June 21st 2012, 00:51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
That doesn't look like a problem at all: the front Mc Pherson struts are limited also by the shock's max downward travel. All other OEM cars also I think? Only inward travel needs an external limit as the whole car then needs to be slowed down. Full downward travel just needs to slow down the weight of the wheel and suspension. The down travel being dampenend by the shock's action anyways, so the 'bump' will be minimal I would think.
Why you think thats a problem or voids warrenties Turbonutta?
Front struts as used in MacPherson strut assemblies are designed with an internal bump stop as part of the strut. This is not the case with all shocks out there, and it's far more likely the rear coil-over shocks used by most GL folks do not have internal bumpstops. I don't have the QA1 documentation handy, but it specifically mentioned installing suspension limiters for both upwards and downwards movement to protect the piston and valve assembly from possibly topping or bottoming out. The documentation was clear about how not having limiters (in both directions) would void the warranty.

Every shock is different, and since they're typically not used in the intended application people should be checking. For my QA1's, I had to install limiting straps to ensure the shock doesn't top out. Anyone who's running these shocks without, is running without a warranty and potentially damaging the valving.

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap