View Single Post
Old March 8th 2010, 18:37

@volkdent: Already have but not for bug parts yet.

@owdlvr: Agree wholeheartedly and why I was hesitant to recommend it, but thought it worth conversation. We would need to ensure intentions and participation requirements are VERY clear, but it is possible. The intent, as I see it, is specifically for an "open source" approach as seen in software development. Those willing to share part designs, can get participation/input from the community for design improvements and other's may re-design the part with improvements built in with the understanding that they are required to share those improvements back with the community. That is what has improved open source applications over the years to become as viable as they are (reference Linux, Apache, MySQL, Google's Andriod OS and Browser, etc). As with open source software, I don't see an issue with someone taking a design and trying to make a commercial offering out of it, but that is just me. There is nothing easy or cheap about trying to take anything and commercialize it to the point of profitability...esp parts or just about in this industry. Another copyright-concerned approach would be a commons approach.

Keep the conversation rolling.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design