View Single Post
Old August 28th 2005, 12:59

All VERY good advice here! I think it is so funny that this post got so much attention! It looks like we all have run into the same issue.

The one thing I am pretty sure of is a man without a dream is an empty shell.

Keep in mind though, we know you like bugs, but if you've got like 6 other hobbies, you might want to whittle off a couple, because Dubs are demanding hobbies!

I must highly emphasis the "taking it slow" part. I am really impressed with your enthusiasm, but I've been a little worried so far about how fast you're going with this thing. In one post you mentioned you'd spent your savings on somethingerather, and I was concerned then that you might be entering into a financial black hole as far as what your goals were for this thing. You're goals are similar to mine in the type of car you want to end up with. I've spent over $10000 in the last 2 years on my project, and I'm STILL getting the parts I need. Fortunatly I have a job that will allow that kind of spending, but if you don't, you'll end up with a room full of parts and no money to get it together. There are thousands of half-done project cars out there for a reason.

I am seriously aware that the children factor is huge, so your luck there I guess. I've been trying to get my car to a rolling stage at least before children enter the picture!

Even when you've obtained all the parts for this thing, financially I would imagine you are less than half done. Does this sound about right? So, if you can see your income being able to maintain your spending for a long time, it might be OK, if not, you've got to reconsider your goals my man.

If your GF knows your financial situation and sees you dumping more than you can afford into the car, I can see her feeling like she needed to gain some control. If you guys stay together, then your spending will affect her financial security as well. My last GF was really supportive in that she would say I should go over and work on the car and always ask me how it was going, but again, financially, she wasn't worried. Finances are the #1 reason for fighting in relationships, so if those aren't stable....

I think that dubs are worse than gambling for me, so I have to take breaks now and again to settle down. Take those breaks to focus on her, she might like being loved as intensly as your dub! What happens in the garage stays.....

This may be a less supportive post, but I think of myself as an optimistic realist, and hard decisions are just that. If she really is the ultamatum type though....

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S

Last edited by volkdent; August 28th 2005 at 13:07.