View Single Post
Old August 4th 2011, 06:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by proughj View Post
I have trailing arms, hubs, torsion bars, calipers and rotors
Did you get the emergency brake backing plate, springs, clips etc. I used the 944 clevis cable ends brazed onto the VW cables to save buying the special swan necks. If you do use the 044 emergency/parking/handbrake then use BMW 525E rear shoes and with minimal modification they fit and are 1/2 the price of the Porsche ones.

The rear calipers are not big enough if you intend to have any Porsche brakes up front. The bias will be heavily front loaded and the rear calipers will be overwhelmed. Mine has 944T/928S4 rear calipers with 944 single pots up front, which with the 944 stepped m/c JUST gives a rear bias that I was after and that is with a 31/69 pressure bias. Unfortunately, the whole problem revolves around the light front end.

The rotors will dictate the use of 16"+ rims as on the 944T although I have fiddled 15" rims on.

What diameter are the torsion bars? Standard were 23.5mm although the M030 spec gave 25.5mm rear TBs. I've found that the standard 944 ones are a good upgrade over VW standard 22mm bars with some good dampers fitted. Don't fit an anti-roll bar until you have tried the basic set up as it will induce oversteer. If by any chance you require to stiffen the rear further use coilovers with the 23.5 TBs so that the spring rate wont be too high that will also require a 5 bar Kafer Cup Brace. For predominently track use a uniball rear can be used but this definitely will require a 5 bar KCB as the spring loads will be very high.

You will need the 944 adjustable spring plates as the VW ones don't fit without redrilling the mounting holes (I don't like this). The adjustable spring plate has an eccentric bolt adjusted for the camber that fouls the damper tower so it has to be spaced off by 5mm that also means the TB cover plate also has to be spaced off by the same amount. I used a cut down 944 alloy TB cover plate that added another spacer within the cover plate when I used the VW (poly) doughnuts. The alloy cover plate doesn't need spacing off as it already has the clearance.

I hope that little lot helps and I would be glad to answer any further specific questions.

Clive