View Single Post
Old February 16th 2012, 23:28

Last week I met up with DORIGTT when he was in town for work and showed him the local B.L.T.N aircooled meet. Also took him for a ride in the race bug, a short sprint up the road and back, he screamed the whole way... j/k We ended up chatting until way late and I think we were the last ones to leave the meet.

I've been pending more time and money on the race bug lately solving problems that have persisted until now (deferred defects we used to call them). Dropped the bug off at the shop to have a custom turbo header built that would relocate the waste gate to the collector, and route pipes more efficiently. Currently the header puts the waste gate on the #2 primary, which is a terrible location, and it causes extreme boost creep. Initial estimate was $800-1000 which is high but reasonable, but then later updated the quote to $1700 which is borderline retarded. For that much I could buy a welder, all the tubing bends, all the flanges, make the header, and then have it coated. So I nixed the header build and had them give the bug a quick once over. In the check-up they found the compression was very low, 120-60-60-15, like how could it run, low. After a couple tests they found the rockers were a little tight, which means the motor hadn't fully cooled the last time I adjusted them. After a quick valve job compression came back and it's 125-130-125-130 now.

Since I needed a header still I called around and found a built but unused and uncoated header that might work for $400 but it will need some more work. A new waste gate and flanges are on order so when those show up I can mock everything up. Once the header is ready I may get some help at the same time and mock up the intercooler so it goes on with the new header. Once everything is plumbed it goes back to the dyno to shoot for 400hp.

Things on the to do/to get list:
--A new set of track wheels, I just picked up a set of Fikse profil 5 18" wheel centers that need to be built out.
--A tow rig, either a an ex fleet truck or fleet van will do for now
--Finish front aero treatment and side skirts
--Replace driver's side rear trailing arm with updated abs ready unit (passenger side already done)
--get new 935 style, adjustable rear monoball spring plate replacement
--have new rollcage built that fits tight to body
--install stock dash again and modify to fit new cage
--install racetechnology digital dash and data logger
--rewire car for new dash and data acquisition

Here's the new (but abused) wheel centers I picked up, Fikse Profil 5s 18"

You can see they're a little chewed up by a wheel gun but they're straight and crack free

New header, covered in a little surface rust but otherwise good

New stack of race rubber, 245/40 17 and 275/40 17 Hankook z214 c71 Soft tires. If these don't work, Hankook is starting to roll out c91 super softs, and I'll use this set for the track.