View Single Post
Old December 26th 2012, 06:28

Hi

Well gearbox is out and I took to Michael Newton Automotive at Mulgrave to get him to strip it down.

His shop is small but impressive, he had a few million dollars worth of Porsche track & and street cars sitting around.

He warned me that G50s are a noisy box anyway and as I've made it well mounted in the chassis that could be the cause of the noise.

So when he stripped down couldn't cant find anything wrong with it, he said that its in very good condition with none of the usual wear areas. So it appears that my noises are caused by my mounting method.

I have a stock G50 mount at the front of the transmission, two Kombi bellhousing mounts like a top mounted Berg style mount and stock WRX/STI mounts under the motor.

So I ordered a Quaife diff for it and he will replace a few bearings just to be sure and its better to setup a new diff with new side carrier bearings.

A used ZF diff was about $3500 the Quaife was about $1700 au

Its in good company at the shop as its full of Porsche Cup cars.

To get the gearbox out again, I had to remove the rear bumper, rear apron and partially remove the rear mudguards, not something I want to be doing too often

Although this will be an expensive exercise Im will feel more comfoatable now driving the car, I felt every noise coming from my G50 was it grinding itself to pieces

Steve