View Single Post
Old April 13th 2009, 04:15

Right, a lot has happenend since the last post.
Time for an update!

I got the transmission back together again!

The hydraulic VW/Audi (Luk) TO bearing has been used and mounted directly onto - or should I better say INto - the tranny casing (drill and tap 3x M6). Engagement of the clutch is VERY light, much lighter than the way I had the 915 converted with a hydraulic slave cylinder that worked on an arm an lever to engage.

Another thing to modify is provisions for the starter motor. After some measurements and looking at 964 starters (way different, I even bought one I can't use), I decided to try a 091 starter from a late bus. Its about 8mm longer and I need the extra length. I actually need 16mm more length, but that doesn't exist, so the CNC wizzerd machined the starter motor opening down some 8mm:

It turned out that the original VW ring gear is NOT exactly the same diameter. Its about 3mm in radius smaller than the porsche. Who knew this huh? In hindside I better would have Kennedy make me a new chr-mo flywheel with the right 3,2 '87-'89 ring gear diameter, but for now I elongated the south hole of the starter itself so the starter rotates more towards the ring gear.
The rear hanger support needed about 2 cm (less than an inch) increasement in length to support the bellhousing being more out to the rear of the car.

After some futile tries with an original 091 starter (bearing supported end), I ordered a Hi-torque from John at Powerhaus at a smacking price and super swift shipping and that works awesome. I have started a lot lately and it doesnt move or grind and turns the engine very quickly, so that works now!