Thread: 901 trans. code
View Single Post
Old November 17th 2005, 04:18

Here are some of the questions/answers I asked Martin about his kit. I will be purchasing the kit tomorrow and will be taking pics of the install. Text that is in Italics is the reply:

-The bushings on the front mount....are these replaceable....and if so where/who can I get the bushings from?
They are replaceable, but it is not necessary to replace them. They are very solid and with a steel tube inside. You can get them from me, if they should be worn out (will not happen).

-The 901 I have is an early one. How much work is it to change out the nose cone with the one in your kit?
Will take about an hour of time (incl. cleaning the sealant surface - so, no work at all). Take liquid sealant as Loctite 574 or similiar ones!

-Do you include directions in your kits....or should I use the article from Ultra VW?
Sorry, havenīt got a manual, but installation accordingly to the mag. report is quite easy.

-The modifications required to the shift rod/linkage....do you have detailed info on this or is it a simple mod?
Havenīt got detailled info on that, as there are a lof of different lengths of the shift rod. Have to find out the best length on your car. Use the Porsche coupling, itīs the best one. Take care, that it is not worn out (bushings). Otherwise shift ways get longer.

-I'm assuming that since this is an early 901 the rear transverse that you sell wouldn't work. Would I be able to just drill some hole thru the case and mount it using beetle tranny mounts....or do you have a better suggestion?
Have got aluminium casted blocks, that have the surface of the 901/915-gearbox. They can be bolted to the 901-housing and the VW-rubber blocks can be bolted against them. Disadvantage is, that the gearbox will be about 1 cm higher in your car. Donīt use the rubber blocks from the Beetle, take those from a Bus T2 - they are harder.

A little add on to the question/answer above about the rear mount. Since using the rear mounts would raise the tranny 1cm.....I'm thinking that I would have to clearance the frame horns less to fit the tranny. I will supply info if this is the case once I've installed my kit.