View Single Post
Old March 6th 2006, 12:34

Inboard Rear Disc Brakes - Plausibility

First off guys, not that your insight isn't any good on this forum, and I do want you to prove me wrong on that statement. It's just the question that I'm posing is generally not in the street scene of things. "Inboard Rear Brakes", If their so good, why don't you see them more. I know this question may not be for this site, but I'd like to run them on my Speedster Kit car. If you have insight into these..., Please enlighten me. I know their a high dollar item, so besides cost, what's the down side, you know..., the bad things to using them.

Is their a problem with transmission output stub axle flex and breakage?

With respects to hanging the caliper and disc in close proximity to the transaxle..., does it cause excessive overheating of the trans?

Is cooling a problem for the rotor / caliper itself?

I can see the plus side, that mounting the assembly inboard -vs- at the wheel would allow a very light unsprung wheel, although rotational mass would remain close if not the same.

I remember seeing these a lot in the early to mid eighty's on off road racers and a lot of European road race cars. Again please enlighten me with comments and criticisms.

Thanks, dd-ardvark